+2
Not a bug

Recursive Evaluation

Жасырын 9 year бұрын в Studio / Variables updated by Gandalf 8 year бұрын 5
After reading about how the Datalist caters to recursive evaluation I thought this was interesting and wanted to try it out.
From the technical documentation page:
"i.e. [[hello[[world]]]] would be recursively evaluated as [[hellobob]] where [[world]] had the value of “bob” and then [[hellobob]] as “my name is bob” where [[hellobob]] had the value “my name is bob” stored in it.

I decided to test this out myself. I created a variable [[hellobob]] and assigned the string "my name is bob" Then I created a variable [[world]] and assigned "bob". Finally I created a variable [[result]] and assigned [[hello[[world]]]]. To my disappointment I received a parse error.

I went back and added the variable [[hello]] and assigned "hello"
And then changed my assignment of [[result]] to [[[[hello]][[world]]]]
This produced the expected result. In the debug window it read my assignment as Variable [[result]] = New Value [[hellobob]] with the string "my name is bob" as its value.

I don't know if this is technically a bug since it did behave in a recursive manner when I tried the second time, but perhaps the documentation is wrong. When I set [[result]] to [[hello [[world]]]] It returned [[hello bob]] an unassigned variable. But with no space there, [[hello[[world]]]] results in a parse error.