FAQ

What is Warewolf?

Using the incredibly powerful flow-based drag and drop interface of Warewolf Studio, Warewolf takes your workflow – including all of your various programming resources, elements, and connectors – and uses it to create actual, functioning microservices that can then be called throughout your application, from virtually anywhere in the world.

What are the use cases?

What can Warewolf integrate with?

Warewolf is an integration tool, so the simple answer is: Anything
As cool as that sounds, integration with Warewolf is limited at present to the following DatabasesDLLsWebservices and other Warewolf services either on the same server or another server. Building your own connectors is easy, as in this Dropbox example.

Who is Warewolf built for?

Warewolf is built for software developers and IT professionals. The application itself is code language agnostic making it available to both C#, Java and other developers. It is a tool that is used to help bring IT and business closer together to collaborate on software solutions. Because of its visual IDE, Business Analysts can easily see and modify existing applications built using Warewolf, and even learn how to build simple processes. Check out who else is using Warewolf.

How is Warewolf different?

Warewolf has been built for simplicity and ease of use. It utilizes flow-based programming concepts in a visual platform. Warewolf was designed to encourage reuse and composition. Warewolf services can be composed and distributed with only a few clicks. Developers can easily visualize a business process without having to deeply understand someone else’s code. Business can quickly and easily get to grips with how their systems work in a visual IDE.

It is ideal for enterprises that do not need a heavy weight product and it does not limit your usage on service creation. We also have a very simple pricing model.

How much does it cost?

You get a free 30-day trial to use Warewolf as you please. After that, you need to get licensed to receive the full support and benefits of Warewolf. You can get detailed pricing information, and sign yourself up on our Pricing page.

What Language is Warewolf developed in?

Warewolf has been developed using both C# and F#. We also use Gherkin in our automated test suite (with SpecFlow).

Does Warewolf support message queues?

Warewolf does not have native queuing. Right now there are very capable message queues, like RabbitMQ, that a developer can connect to using Warewolf and we recommend using this strategy.

Does Warewolf run on Linux?

At this time, no, but Warewolf is open source. You are welcome to create a fork from The Warewolf Github repository  and port it to Linux. You can read more about setting up your own fork in the Warewolf knowledge base.

Can I bundle Warewolf with a product that we develop?

Yes you can. If you are interested in doing this, please contact us about licensing.

How do I add extra tools?

Warewolf is totally extensible. You can create your own custom tools and connectors for Warewolf. We encourage developers to contribute the tools they develop back to the community. If you want to contribute a tool to the project you can submit a pull request on Github along with a description of the tool.

What languages does Warewolf support?

Internally, Warewolf supports three scripting languages, JavaScript, Ruby and Python. Warewolf also has a Math function language that is syntactically equivalent to the Microsoft Excel function library  in our parser.

Externally, Warewolf has primitive support for the inclusion of .Net Dynamic Link Libraries .

Methods called from DLLs loaded in Warewolf must return a serialize object that can be parsed into text. Warewolf currently only supports primitive data types because it needs to be able to parse all data into JSON or XML.

How does Warewolf handle errors?

Most of the more complex tools in Warewolf have error handling built directly into the tools. The functionality enables a developer to send the error message to a designated Warewolf service that you can set up for monitoring. As a developer, you also have the option to terminate the service if an error is encountered.

Warewolf also has extensive logging functionality with 7 levels of logging to select from. At the most verbose level, you can run a trace log that includes detailed system information about events.

How does service monitoring work in Warewolf?

Warewolf does not have direct support for service monitoring at this time. It is, however, fairly straightforward to implement a monitoring strategy by including performance counters in your services.  We recommend using a tool like Logstash to centralize and collate the performance metrics for your Warewolf Services.

Can it be used for Master Data?

Yes. Warewolf is an effective platform for building a master data set for your organization. You can expose master datasets in both XML and JSON formats.

How do I download Warewolf?

You can download a compiled version of Warewolf for free at https://warewolf.io. Warewolf is also available in the Microsoft Azure marketplace: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/partners/warewolf-esb/warewolf/

How do I get the source code?

How do I contribute to Warewolf?

How do I get support?

How do I get a Warewolf T-shirt?

Warewolf T-shirts are not only awesome, but they cannot be bought. Warewolf T-shirts are earned by doing something that adds value to the application and the community. We have sent T-shirts to people who have helped us by answering surveys, submitting successful Pull Requests in GitHub and who have generally contributed to improving Warewolf.

Where do I find licencing information?

You can get this information on our website at https://warewolf.io/eula.php

FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+Email
Updated on July 19, 2017

Was this article helpful?

Related Articles

Enjoying Warewolf?

Write a review on G2 Crowd
Stars